Whether you take a bus or rideshare, sometimes accident happen, and when they do, you need to know how to protect your rights. Buses and rideshare services like Uber or Lyft carry insurance for their drivers, and if you are injured while riding in one or by being hit by one, that insurance is supposed to cover your injuries.
However, insurance companies seldom pay out more than they must and, even if the accident was not your fault, you could be left with thousands of dollars in medical bills, lost wages, and more. This is why whenever you have been injured in an rideshare or bus accident, you need to consult with a competent personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
The experienced personal injury team at EAccidents will do all of the heavy lifting for you, so that you can attend to your injuries with a certain amount of peace of mind. Our law firm offers a completely free and confidential consultation to anyone who has been injured in a bus or rideshare accident in California.
If we take your case, you will pay nothing unless we win a settlement or judgment on your behalf. Call us today to schedule a free consultation with an experienced California rideshare/bus accident lawyer.
Uber & Lyft Insurance Policies in California
Ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft are governed by the California Public Utilities Code and the California Public Utilities Commission. As such, rideshare services are required to insure their driver with a minimum of $1 million of coverage while they are transporting passengers.
Uber and Lyft’s insurance policies provide different levels of insurance, depending on how the driver was engaged with their rideshare app at the time of the accident. For example:
- If the driver is in his or her car, but hasn’t yet logged into the app, the only insurance available to cover injuries and losses caused by that driver’s negligence will be his or her own personal auto insurance policy.
- If the driver was online and logged into the app, then the rideshare company provides the driver with $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident of bodily injury coverage and $25,000 in property damage coverage.
- If the driver was en route to pick up a passenger accepted through the app or in the process of transporting that passenger, the coverage rises to $1 million dollars of liability coverage and another $1 million dollars in uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
Bus Accident vs Regular Auto Accident
If you were injured in a bus accident, as a passenger or in another vehicle that was hit by that bus, you should know that bus accident cases are handled a bit differently than regular auto accident cases. Often, when a bus is involved in an accident, there are Department of Transportation rules and regulations that apply, as well as, federal and state rules that apply to chauffeurs and bus drivers but not to other drivers.
Bus accident cases are also complicated by the fact that there are often multiple claimants involved. The party at fault for the accident may have limited insurance coverage, and if all the people who were on the bus file claims, you will need an attorney who can push your claim to the front of the line and ensure that you receive a recovery.
What’s more, bus accident are often caused by inexperienced or improperly trained bus drivers, but defective auto parts, and negligence on the part of the company or agency that operates the service can also play a part. Because of this, liability for a bus accident must be investigated properly by a lawyer who is aware of all the parties who may possibly be held liable to compensate you for the losses you have suffered.
Compensation for a California Rideshare/Bus Accident
If you have been injured in an accident involving a bus or rideshare service like Uber or Lyft, you still have all of the same rights that you would have if you were injured in any other type of automobile accident. The only difference is that the company or agency that operates the bus or rideshare service may be responsible for paying for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.
This is important because the driver often has no insurance or only the required minimum amount of insurance, which is only $15,000 – $25,000 in coverage. This means that no matter how serious your injuries and losses are, there will be little or no money available for you to recover in a lawsuit.
However, when there is a bus or rideshare driver involved in the accident, you have a much greater chance of recovering the full amount of compensation you need to cover your injuries and losses and move on with your life. In fact, you may be entitled to recover millions of dollars in compensation for your injuries, financial losses, pain and suffering, and more.
What to do Immediately Following a California Rideshare/Bus Accident
It is rare for an insurance company to readily volunteer to pay out the full amount that an accident victim is entitled to receive. Therefore, there are a number of thing you need to do immediately following an accident to increase the value of your rideshare/bus settlement or judgment:
- Check for any injuries to yourself and other passengers in the vehicle in which you were riding, as well as, the drivers and passengers of other vehicles involved in the accident. Get medical assistance if necessary. EAccidents works with the best doctors available to take care of all of your medical needs.
- Note the date and time of the accident. Call the police to have a police report taken and remember to request a copy. Regardless of who was at fault for the accident, get a police report.
- Write down as much information as possible i.e. the driver’s personal information, the personal information of other drivers involved in the accident, and the names and contact information of other passengers and witnesses to the accident.
- Document the damage caused by the accident by taking photos and videos of the scene of the accident, damage to vehicles, and your injuries.
- Later, EAccidents will help you gather all of the documentation related to your accident (including the police report, your medical records, photographs and videos of the scene of the accident, and witness statements) and our accident attorneys will take care of the rest.
Contact An Experienced California Rideshare/Bus Accident Attorney
Whether you were injured in an accident involving a local city bus or a bus that provides interstate transportation, or a rideshare service like Uber or Lyft, we can help you recover fair and just compensation for your injuries and losses. Call us today to schedule an appointment with an experienced California rideshare/bus accident attorney.