California weather allows its residents to be outside virtually all year long. However, enjoying the outdoors can turn dangerous when you are walking, running, or shopping in heavily-trafficked areas.
Drivers sometimes get distracted by the surroundings or their cell phones, which puts pedestrians at huge risk. And when an accident occurs between a pedestrian and an automobile, it is almost always the pedestrian who suffers the most damage.
A pedestrian accident that results in serious injury can change a person’s life in an instant. What’s more, it can be just as devastating for the victim’s family.
Since pedestrians walk around unprotected, they can suffer devastating injuries when they are struck by a negligent driver. Common pedestrian accident injuries include:
- Cuts, scrapes, and bruises
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Neck and back injuries
What’s more, in the worst cases, a pedestrian accident can result in the victim being permanently disabled, disfigured, or killed.
Besides the medical bills that must be paid and the pain and suffering the victim must endure because of their injuries, there are collateral damages as well. For example, if you are unable to work due to your injuries, you may have no way to pay your monthly bills. What’s more, you may no longer be able to participate in your loved ones’ lives the way you did before the accident.
Our Law Firm
EAccidents has a highly experienced team of personal injury lawyers who help the injured navigate the challenges of the legal process over a wide range of personal injury accidents, including pedestrian accidents. Our law firm is here to help accident victims rebuild their lives with all of the medical and rehab support they require.
It’s not just about money. We are there for our clients every step of the way and there are no fees until we obtain a settlement on their behalf. We are counselors, negotiators, and litigators whose primary focus is obtaining a positive outcome for our clients.
Known for our integrity, service, and professionalism, we build lasting relationships with all of our clients based on trust, exceptional service, and our dedication. Our goal is always to ensure that our clients and their families recover the compensation they need to fully recover from their injuries and financial losses.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, call us today to schedule a free consultation with a knowledgeable and experienced California pedestrian accident attorney from our law firm.
Compensation for a California Pedestrian Accident
The first thing that you need to know about pedestrian rights is that drivers are required to yield to pedestrians, no matter what the circumstance. The next thing you need to know is that compensation for injuries sustained as a result of being hit by a car is governed by the legal doctrine of negligence. Under this doctrine, a driver may be found liable to compensate you for your injuries and losses, if they failed to operate their vehicle with a reasonable degree of care for the safety of others and, as a result, you were injured.
Proving negligence in a pedestrian accident case often requires anticipating what the defense will do. In some cases, a defendant will raise the doctrine of comparative fault, which tries to put some of the blame on the plaintiff, thus lowering the damages they are entitled to receive.
Accident victims typically obtain larger settlements and judgments when they are represented by a reputable attorney. Your attorney will, amongst other things, assist you with gathering the evidence you need to hold the at-fault driver fully liable and will guide you through the process every step of the way.
What to Do After a California Pedestrian Accident
If you or someone you know was walking along a road, crossing the street, passing a driveway, or in a parking lot and was struck by a motor vehicle, there are several things that you need to do to protect the value of your pedestrian accident claim. Doing these things can mean the difference between settling your case for whatever the insurance company offers or obtaining the compensation you truly deserve:
- See a doctorThe first thing to do after any accident, of course, is to make sure that you are OK. If need be, call 911 and seek immediate medical treatment.
- Call the PoliceCall the police to have a police report of the accident made. The police report may contain details that can assist in establishing the driver’s fault for the accident, including whether or not the driver was issued any traffic tickets as a result of the accident.
- Be clear about exactly where the accident happened This is extremely important. When you were hit, were you in a crosswalk, crossing a driveway, or on the sidewalk? Ultimately, the cases will be evaluated by an insurance company or jury, and exactly where you were walking or standing when the accident occurred will make a big difference in proving the case.
- Find witnessesWitness information is important because, in almost every pedestrian accident case, the insurance company will coach the driver of the vehicle to say that the pedestrian jumped out in front of the vehicle, or that the pedestrian was standing or walking somewhere that pedestrians are not allowed. Witness testimony can make a huge difference in establishing exactly where and how the accident happened. Always collect witness information, or ask someone else to do it for you if you can’t.
- Refrain from giving any recorded statement to the insurance companyWhen a motorist hits a pedestrian, most are smart enough to call their insurance company right away. Their insurance company will then call the person who got hit to record their version of the event.
The problem with this is that the insurance company will often ask what are referred to as leading questions. These are questions designed to lead you into giving an answer that will probably be bad for your case.
The wrong answer can really limit the value of your case and sometimes ruin any chance you have of being compensated for your injuries and losses. So, whatever you do, don’t give a recorded statement until you have spoken with an EAccidents attorney who can advise you of your rights.
Contact An Experienced Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident in California, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your injuries and losses. But, to ensure that the settlement or judgment you receive is fair and enough to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and other losses, you will need the help of an experienced California pedestrian accident lawyer.
Our pedestrian accident attorneys assist people in many areas of California and will be happy to review your matter free of charge. Call us today to schedule a no-cost, no-obligation consultation. We are ready to help.