Food delivery services like Uber Eats, DoorDash, Grubhub, and Postmates have revolutionized the food delivery industry. It is now possible for anyone in Los Angeles with a smartphone to order virtually any type of food they want and have it delivered to them at any time of the day.
But with the ever-growing popularity of these food delivery services has come some ever-growing problems. There has been an increase in lawsuits against food delivery drivers who, in their haste to pick up and deliver food orders, don’t always drive as carefully as they should.
Filing an accident claim against a food delivery driver is typically more complicated than the typical auto accident claim. Because of this, if you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving a food delivery driver, you need the assistance of a personal injury attorney who has a good amount of experience handling these types of accident claims.
Call eAccidents today @ 844-400-0123 to arrange a free case evaluation with an experienced California food delivery accident lawyer.
California Food Delivery Accident Lawyers
The California food delivery accident lawyers at eAccidents have the experience needed to help you succeed in your food delivery accident claim. We have negotiated numerous large settlements in accident claims involving food delivery drivers in California, and we are aware of the complexities particular to these types of cases.
We take pride in being great attorneys and providing excellent customer service to those who have been injured in accidents caused by the negligence of others. Here are some examples of the many things our attorneys can do for you:
• Suggest medical providers to ensure that you receive the best possible care for your injuries;
• Pursue the liable insurance companies to recover your medical costs;
• Refer you to reputable body shops and mechanics for vehicle repair;
• Represent you in all communications with the liable food delivery service, your insurance provider, the driver’s personal insurance provider, and any third parties to the accident; and
• Secure for you the highest possible settlement available under the law.
What Damages Can I Recover After being injured in a Food Delivery Accident in California?
If you or someone you care about has suffered injuries as a result of an accident with a food delivery driver, California law entitles you to compensation for the following damages:
• Reasonable and necessary medical expenses;
• Past and future lost wages and income;
• Pain and suffering;
• The cost to repair or replace your vehicle; and
However, receiving the compensation you deserve is not as easy as it sounds. This is where an attorney who understands how food delivery services handle accident claims can help.
How Do Food Delivery Services Handle Accident Claims?
Food delivery services like Uber Eats, DoorDash, Grubhub, and Postmates vary in the way they handle accident claims and the amount of insurance coverage they provide to cover accidents caused by those who deliver for them.
Some food delivery services, like Postmates and DoorDash, provide their drivers with $1 million in “excess auto insurance” that covers accidents caused by their drivers and that result in property damage and/or bodily injuries suffered by third parties. In addition, both Postmates and DoorDash also require their drivers to maintain personal auto insurance policies.
The $1 million in “excess auto insurance” only applies to injuries and accidents caused by the driver while they are on an active delivery. A driver is on an active delivery from the time they accept a delivery request until the customer receives the order. What’s more, this coverage only kicks in if the driver’s personal auto insurance policy does not provide enough coverage or does not adequately cover damages.
Similarly, Uber Eats requires its drivers to carry personal auto insurance, which it supplements with its own insurance policies. How Uber’s insurance policies will apply to your food delivery accident will depend on which stage of the delivery process the driver was engaged in at the time of the accident:
1. If the accident happened before the driver had logged in to the driver app, only the driver’s personal auto insurance applies.
2. If the accident happened while the driver was logged in to the driver app and awaiting a delivery request, then in addition to the drivers personal auto insurance coverage, Uber Eats provides $50,000 per person/$100,000 per accident in bodily injury coverage, and $25,000 in property damage coverage per accident.
3. If the accident occurred after the driver had accepted a delivery request from the app and was in the process of picking up or delivering food, Uber Eats supplements the driver’s personal auto insurance coverage with an additional $1 million in third-party liability coverage.
Why Involve An Experienced Food Delivery Accident Lawyer?
If you or a loved one has been injured in a California food delivery accident, the actual amount of insurance available to cover your injuries and losses will vary depending on which stage of the delivery process the driver was engaged in at the time of the accident.
It is, therefore, extremely important to engage the services of an experienced California food delivery accident lawyer from our eAccidents that can successfully handle all of the complications involved. We can help you gather and preserve the evidence needed to ensure that you qualify for any supplemental liability insurance coverage provided by the service provider.
Call us at 844-400-0123 or visit our contact page today to arrange a free consultation.